Tag Archives: Quilting

Quilt Update

Attaching the binding

I have almost finished Miss A’s quilt – just the binding to go.

After watching this video, I managed to finish my continuous binding (it did take four attempts). The really useful piece of information was knowing that the overlap had to be the same length as the width of the binding strips.

Now I just need to turn it to the back and sew it down. I still haven’t decided whether to hand sew it or machine sew it.

Leave a Comment

Filed under Foundation Blocks, Patchwork, Quilting

Project Update

I have been working on some of my projects.

  • Gingerbread House (Top Left) – I have almost finished one section of the roof and then its just the other roof section. I am only working on this at my stitching group, so it’s months from completion.
  • Cinnamon Stars (Top right) – I have worked on this for a few hours this week. While watching the movie version of Brideshead Revisited and a new SBS series Vigil. I was watching Vonna’s floss tube yesterday and she mentioned that she only ever uses size 22 needles (regardless of the linen count), so I thought I would give that a go.
  • I have joined A Bee in the Bonnet’s Golden Honey Sock club, so the yarn (bottom left) is for the first pattern. I have since made it into a ball and started knitting the swatch.
  • More progress on covering the joins of Miss A’s quilt. It’s physical hard to man-handle the quilt through the machine.

There will be no new projects until some of these are finished.

Leave a Comment

Filed under Canvas Work, Cross Stitch, Cross Stitch, Foundation Blocks, Knitting, Machine Embroidery, Movies, Quilting, Sock Knitting

Working on the quilt

Quilt progress

I am determined to get this quilt finished. So determined, I am not working on anything else. I started in 2013 and now I just want it finished. I have joined all of the blocks, and now I am covering the joins with bias binding. At first I planned to make the strips, but in the end I bought it (50m of the stuff), but I think it saved me a bit of time.

Leave a Comment

Filed under Patchwork, Quilting

Kindle Oasis Cover

Kindle Oasis Cover

Cover without the Kindle

I bought a new kindle – the Oasis – because it was light and water-proof (and I think it will help with my storage issues). In the past I have bought a cover at the same time, but they didn’t have any in stock and the whole point of this kindle is that it is light, so I didn’t want to lose that by adding a cover. However, I did want to cart it around in my handbag and so wanted to ensure the screen didn’t get scratched.

So I decided on a quilted zipper bag. I cut the wadding to the right size and quilted directly onto to it. I then lined the bag so the wadding wasn’t visible on the inside.

Leave a Comment

Filed under Quilting, Sewing

Golden Wedding Ring Quilt Block Digitised

SewWitty's Golden Wedding Ring Block

SewWitty’s Golden Wedding Ring Block

This is another block that is only 1/4 of the final block. Check out a whole one here. It came together quite easily – I’m starting to feel more confident using Embird. As you can see in the image, I had a bit of difficulty cutting my pieces big enough, but this is just a practice run to determine whether my digitised design is OK.

I think I now have eight blocks: Log Cabin, Pineapple, Flying Geese, Courthouse Steps, Snail Trail, Iowa Star, Golden Wedding Ring, Hour Glass. My plan was to make 12 blocks for my sampler quilt, so only four more to go. Although at some stage I changed my template, so I need to double check the earlier blocks.

1 Comment

Filed under Digitizing, Foundation Blocks, Quilting

Jekyll and Hyde Cushion

Flying Geese Side of Cushion


Hour Glass Side of Cushion

I finished my cushion. I’m calling it my ‘Jekyll and Hyde’ cushion because the fabrics on each side are so different.

In the end it came together quite easily. I wondered how easy it would be to put a zip into two quilted pieces of fabric, but that was fine. Now I have to decide what block to do next.

You can find the machine embroidery designs here.





Leave a Comment

Filed under Digitizing, Foundation Blocks, Machine Embroidery, Quilting


I’m still working away on the Jane cardigan and I’ve decided I need to break things up and get on with some of the other half finished projects – like this quilt …

or this quilt (made from the girls’ baby clothes) …

I’ve also got a bit of digitising to do …



Leave a Comment

Filed under miscellaneous

New Projects

I have two new, rather large, projects on the go. The first is a quilt made from the girls baby clothes.

This seemed like a lovely idea, but cutting the squares and rectangles is very time consuming.

The other project is this one by Amy Herzog

 I’ve cast on three times so far …

Above is the first time and you can see it’s twisted – like a mobius strip. It might all end badly.


Filed under Knitting, Patchwork

Finished Quilt

I’ve finished this quilt. Here is the back …


1 Comment

Filed under miscellaneous, Quilting

Dino Quilt is Finished

I finished my Dino Quilt. Above is the front and below is the back.

I free-motion quilted it using a stippling pattern. I found this to be quite tricky simply because of the size of the quilt, but in the end I’m pleased with the results. As always, I could do with more practice.

I tried a new binding technique. I remembered what happened last time and followed my own advice. I cut the binding strips 2 inches wide, attached them to the back first and then machine sewed them to the front.

Still not completely perfect, but I am happy with the results.

Leave a Comment

Filed under Free Motion Quilting, Patchwork, Quilting