I bought Font Engine to go with my studio. I thought it would be handy to be able to type words and then make the embroidery file rather than arranging individual letters. First thing I tried was appliqued letters – sorry about the image it is all a bit dodgy! You can’t tell from the image, but the letter is about 125 mm tall.
I thought it would be easy to create the applique, but it was quite fiddly and I intend to write a tutorial (if only to help myself remember next time!).
I used my A to make Miss A a bag for her dance stuff. Obviously there is a P as well!
As I have misplaced my applique scissors, I haven’t been able to trim the fabric as closing to the tack down stitches.
I finished the easter t-shirts.
Both designs are from here. Miss P’s is crooked, but there was no way I was unpicking it and trying again!
I’ve finished the front of the dino cushion. The applifix worked really well and I will use it instead of vliesofix in the future.
For this applique I used normal machine cotton (last time I used embroidery thread), a blanket stitch (on my machine Mode 2, 35) and a width and length of 1.5mm.
My applifix finally arrived from here, so I’m back onto the dinosaur cushion. Miss P picked the fabric – the ladybird fabric is for the body and the other one for the spiky bits.
It is very humid today and the idea of using an iron is extremely unappealing so I don’t think there will be much progress on this project – maybe some more sock.
This is my final card. The design is from here.
Just adding the design rather than trying to cover the front with fabric seemed to work better – not as crinkly.
So I am continuing in my efforts to get these cards right.
Yesterday (when I should have been doing something else) I came across a tutorial on Urban Threads for making a card using machine applique, but they don’t stitch out the satin stitched edges – genius! The satin stitching is always do dense the fabric puckers and it always looks a bit too perfect – I prefer a less perfect more home made look.
This morning I stitched the above flower card (using this design). I stitched out the applique placement line, placed the fabric on the design, changed thread to a matching colour and stitched out the applique tack down line. I then skipped the satin stitched borders. I much happier with this look – it wouldn’t work on anything that needs to be hard wearing..
I’m still refining these cards. The first thing I’m trying to do is work out the best way of attaching them to the card stock. The embroidery tends to pucker the background fabric a bit and then I get crinkles when I sew the fabric to the card.
I could stabilise more, but I don’t want the fabric section to be too thick – water soluble stabiliser perhaps? And then I really need to decide if it is worth all of this effort.
I’ve finished the cushion for Miss A.
A few things I discovered; vliesofix is fabulous, but there must be a cheaper way of buying it, a finer blanket stitch was best (Mode 2 36 on my Janome 6600p), as the envelope style backing is quite generous a button is not required.
Here is a closer look at the applique…
I like the way the frill (extra bit around the edge of the cushion is created. Once the cushion cover has been assembled, turned right side out and pressed, you sew just inside the border seam.
I’ve started stitching around the edges of my applique cushion. This one …
I’m using bobbin fill on the bottom and rayon embroidery thread on the top (Robison Anton Rayon). I’m using a blanket stitch (stitch number Mode 2 35 if you have a Janome 6600p – I’m also using the F2 foot, which makes it much easier to see what you are doing) with a length and width of 1.5mm.
I’m surprised by how easily this is all coming together – it’s not perfect by any means, but easier than I expected.
It’s almost Easter – I wish the weather would be more April-like (it’s still warm!). I like to make the girls applique T-shirts for Christmas and Easter. Above is Miss P’s T-shirt. The design is from Bunnycup. Below is Miss A’s – her design is from Designs by JuJu.