Journal Cover – Front
Journal Cover – Open
Journal Cover – Inside
This is my first attempt at constructing a book cover in the hoop. There were three hoopings; front, back and then joining them together. It works quite well – I am happy with the size – it could do with a bit of top stitching around the edges (but that would have to happen afterwards and not in the hoop). I have joined the two halves using a wide zig-zag and then hidden that under a grosgrain ribbon. This bit doesn’t work so well, so I am thinking of other options – bias binding or an embroidered strip – plus I think the cover of the zig-zag needs to be a bit wider.
I put a silk dupion to use with my canvas work. I am still thinking about the best way of inserting the canvas work – I don’t want any raw edges showing.
I bought myself a new sewing machine (that’s the photo from the Janome site…). It’s a Janome MC 500e. I had hoop envy – the biggest hoop on my MC 350e was 200mm by 140mm now I have 230mm by 280mm!
I want to explore two things – making an all over embroidered fabric that I can then use to make other things and constructing things in the hoop.
Zip Pouch – Made completely in the hoop
I made the above zip pouch thing, but it had strange construction techniques – I think I have a better way of doing it. And I think the zip needs to be a bit lower, so the top can have crisper corners.
I upgraded my Embird Studio and started digitising again.
Some finished blocks!
I finally found some motivation to get on with my sampler quilt. Both of my girls were really keen to make pencil cases in the holidays and I think a simple sewing project reignited my interest in sewing.
I have decided that I am going to quilt each block independently – quilting as you go – like here. I’m hoping this approach has two advantages; first, it is physically easier to maneuver around my sewing machine and secondly, it will just feel less overwhelming.
Log Cabin block finished
I finished another block – only four more to go. I am not sure what is keeping me going on this project – sheer bloody mindedness? – Because I have had enough! I’m over all of my choices, but I am determined to push on and get it finished. I have such plans for when this is finished. I bought beautiful fabric at the Liberty store and I want to use it.
Iowa Star Foundation Pieced
I have finished another quilt block for my sampler quilt. This one was quite disappointing – points don’t really match as they should and some of the pieces didn’t flip and sew too well. I am completely over this quilt – just want to be at the end, so unless I have a burst of motivation at the end I am not re doing this one.
I have really struggled with getting the pieces the right size so that when you stitch and flip they’re the right size. Maybe I need to make some templates?
One more block of my Sampler Quilt – only another 7 to go.
Courthouse Steps Block
I finished the four blocks that make one courthouse steps block. As I want this quilt finished, I’m trying to do a little often.
Images from ‘Royal School of Needlework – Embroidery Techniques’
I really like textiles and embroidery. I like the look of embroidery and the stories behind the creation of embroidery, but I am too lazy/impatient to do hand embroidery. I do like machine embroidery – both free motion and the digitised version – what I would really like to do is create embroidery that looks like it has been done by hand using my embroidery machine. To this end, I have been trying to improve my digitising. I made this blackwork sampler and now I am trying to learn silk shading. I am discovering a few tips and tricks with my software (which is Embird) and like anything I just need to practise.
Sewwitty’s Courthouse Steps
Well, true to my last post, I have been working on the sampler quilt. The above is my second courthouse steps sub-block – each block requires 4 and sometimes 8 sub-blocks. The blocks with rectangular pieces, like above, a much quicker to sew (not like the Bachelor’s Puzzle block). It is much easier to cut the right shape when it is a rectangle particularly when you stitch it down and then flip it into place. The number of times I flip it into place only to find the finished piece is too small!
Finished Bears Paw Block
This is the third of my foundation pieced blocks.
I can’t say I am that thrilled with my fabric choice, but I am determined to get this quilt finished.
Next up is Courthouse Steps.