I started working on this house late last year to use as a model for my girls, but soon realised it was going to take a long time and that they wouldn’t have the patience to finish it. I wondered if even I had the patience (dedication) to finish it, but when I added the back stitch the design popped and now I feel quite motivated (I doubt it will be finished this year).
The design is from the 2016 Family Circle Christmas Special – you might still be able to find the pattern here.
I bought the plastic canvas from Spotlight and I am using 6 strands of DMC floss, 2 for the backstitching.
I have been looking at various different ways of cross stitching. I stitch in hand one stitch at a time. I have tried Q-Snaps, but they hurt my hands getting them on and off, and I do have hoops (this one and while I do like this hoop – it is a bit of a pain to carry it around and set it up each time). I wanted to have less fuss and effort so I went with stitching in hand.
I do what I think is called the stab method (terrible name), but I thought I should try the sewing method however my tension was a bit crap, so I fallen back to the tried and tested method.
I was hoping to progress a bit quicker, but I will just have to make more of the process.
I have been working on this a little bit at a time. It’s from here.
It is on 32 count Belfast linen, which seems to be the limit of what I can do. It takes me a while to get my eye in so to speak and then I find it quite easy.
I have learnt how to do a pin stitch to start and stop stitching – from Hands Across the Sea Samplers. Nicola has a YouTube video you can watch. It has made the back much tidier and I am now using the loop method to start the non-variegated thread (the black in the image above).
I am working on 25 count Dublin linen from Zweitgart – in the natural colourway. At first I thought I would do one over one (one strand of thread over one strand of the fabric), but it was just too small for me, so I am doing two over two. It is easy and the pattern is delightful to do – big chunks of colour and once you’re started it is easy to move from place to place.
Satsuma Street do fabulous, bright and colourful designs – check out her Etsy store (you can download the designs as pdfs).
I started this in December (first post here) – I was using it as a kind of hand therapy after I broke hand. I enjoyed it – there were some downs (terrible counting errors), but I learned heaps – rail roading, the loop method to start and the diagonal pin stitch. This is the first time I have used linen (32 count Belfast) and I know I won’t be returning to Aida.
I was thinking I could make smalls using some of the motifs – the star, or the flowers at the bottom.
So now it is full-steam ahead on my Modern Folk Sampler stitch along – if you think about how a new section gets released each month I am on about January the 5th! Or I could work on my Quaker Lady.
I decided I needed to be able to stitch two-handed and I didn’t want a frame and a stand and I am not a huge fan of Q-Snaps I find they hurt my fingers getting the plastic bit on and off.
I decided to try a hoop – a two layer hoop to be precise.
This is the stitch ezi hoop from here – I believe it is made in Australia.
I have used it once and so far I have liked it. I can rotate the top hoop so I can weave my ends into the back and I am sure once I get better at using two hands I will speed up.
In the above image I am working on My Lady’s Quaker from Jardin Prive. I love this chart – my progress is slow, but it is about the journey not the destination.
I have also ordered this hoop, which in retrospect might not be as good, because you cannot rotate the top hoop. However, it might pack up smaller and that has to be a good thing. That’s not due to arrive for a while, so I will see how I get on with my stitch ezi hoop. I can attach one of those peg book lights – one like this and it works really well.
I have been working (slowly) on my Live Simply sampler and I have started work on my My Lady’s Quaker from here – it is big (for me) 160 stitches by 160 and so I shall be working on it for a long time.
I have continued on my sock and hope to have it finished by the end of the month – my aim is a pair of socks a month. There is a lot going on in the next month, so I might not get there, but then I am going to knit Winter Rose Socks – I have this yarn in mind – in colour 2170.
There is not enough time to stitch and knit all of the things… I suspect this is a nice problem to have.