I have started knitting the Heartgyle socks from Boost Your Knitting – the intarsia heart is going well, but the getting it to work in the round is not going so well (see below)
You can see where I have been doing the yarn overs and the turn. The instructions do say
You will see that the turn between right side and wrong side creates a small ridge in the work but it is not hugely obvious.
And they have an image and it’s true on their sock it isn’t very obvious. I can see that my later turns are better – more discreet if you like, but now I need to decide if I rip it back and start again. I am leaning towards ripping back.
There are some great tutorials on how to do this on You Tube – here.
I think the method is good it’s just my execution.
I have almost finished this year’s Christmas socks – I wanted to get going early to ensure they were finished in time.
The yarn is ‘Tinsel’ from Little Yellow Cat (on Etsy). It is a merino, bamboo and silk mix and feels fabulous. Strangely, when I made the skein into a ball it was in two pieces. One about 40g and the other about 60g, so the small one was not quite enough for one sock.
I have pretty much made up my own pattern, but I am using the SKYP stitch pattern from the SKYP socks.
I finished one sock for June and one sock for July. I went away for a week (to here) and I wanted to see if I could complete a pair of socks, so I started the July pair (I had already finished the June sock). Clearly, I can’t get a pair of socks finished in a week.
The yarn for the June sock (right sock) is King Cole Zig Zag and the lace pattern is from the Knitting Vintage Socksbook. It is the lace pattern from the Evening Stockings for a Young Lady Pattern. I just used the lace pattern and did the sock in my usual way.
The yarn for the July sock (left sock) is Old Roses by The Yarnkeeper and it is a plain vanilla sock (with such beautiful yarn why spoil it with a pattern?)
I have started the second sock of both and will probably focus on finishing the July sock first.
I finished my may sock early, which means I can try something a bit more adventurous for June.
Above is my swatch, which is a bit disappointing. The ball looks like
which is quite pretty, but the swatch has large colour blocks (pooling) that I am not so keen on. So I have decided this probably isn’t the yarn for a special project, but is the yarn to practise a special project.
The lace pattern requires a multiple of 6 plus 1, so I have decided to cast on 60 and make one in the round before starting the lace – the ribbing is K2P1, so a multiple of 3. It’s not possible to have a multiple of 6 plus 1 and have it be a multiple of 3.
This is different to the pattern, but I think I should be able to use the same heel (Dutch heel) and toe (round) as the pattern.
I bought 5 balls of Wool and the Gang sock yarn. It meant postage was free. It came with a pattern and three sets of double pointed needles (2.25mm, 2.5mm and 2.75mm).
For this first pair I followed the pattern exactly (and I must say it was an easy to follow pattern), but for the next pair I will make a few alterations – the foot is too long and that is because I made the toe too big (next time I will just do my normal toe). Also, I have become a magic loop convert and will knit the next pair the magic loop way.
I do like the after-thought heel – although I did get a hole at the corner where the foot meets the leg (I closed it up with spare yarn so you can’t see it in the photo). I will do some research to see how that can be avoided for the next pair.
These are my May socks, so I am ahead of schedule. I am going to work on my Hansel shawl and when I need something easy I will knit wash cloths.
Well astute observers would notice that there has been a change of plan for this yarn. I was making Precious Metal socks, but I didn’t think the pattern stood out enough. I have moved onto Monkey Socks by Cookie A – it is a free pattern, but I purchased it via Ravelry (I believe designers should get paid).
As per usual, I am just using the pattern for the lace chart and doing my own thing for the actual sock construction.
I am a bit late getting into this one – I think the KAL has finished.
This was designed by Louise Tillbrook and she released a bit every week for four weeks. I had good intentions, but also wanted to finish my integrated socks. I will probably do heels and toes the way I like and just use the pattern for the pattern around the leg and on top of the foot.
This yarn is fabulous – Peppermint Latte from fiber lily. I have the Swish Sock base (85% merino and 15% Nylon).