My new design
I know the above image doesn’t look like much, but this is going to be my new zip pouch. I measured my phone – because it is important my phone fits in – and then designed it around that measurement.
It will be lined and the front below the zip will have embroidery (although that might have to be done before rather than during the process of making this bag.
It takes a long time to digitise anything – even something as simple as this (it is essentially rectangles and straight lines).
I have this silk I want to use …
But perhaps I need an allover design?
Embroidery for Journal Cover
I have started to construct the journal cover – it shouldn’t be that difficult, but I have managed to measure wrong once (luckily I found out before cutting the fabric).
My girls have gone back to school, so I have put my sewing machine away, which will, of course, delay sewing this thing – although I still have a bit of cutting to do so I don’t really have an excuse.
Bits and Pieces
I went away for the weekend to Melbourne – very decadent. While there, I visited my favourite shop L’uccello. The fat quarters in the above pictures are from there – I had to include the bag in the photo because it is such fun.
The yarn is from Hawthorn Cottage Yarns – they had a stall at the markets at the art gallery.
I have quite a few ideas – now I just have to get on and make something.
I went to the Upmarket on sunday. I do like it, but it has become so busy that it is beginning to be a bit unpleasant. I bought fabric from Old Grey House. I was determined to use this fabric quickly (I’ve bought fabric from them before, which is still in my stash!). I made a cushion – pretty simple.
I made the cushion cover 17 inches (and I used an 18 inch cushion insert). I read somewhere that the cover should be smaller than the insert.
Putting the zip in was a bit tricky (haven’t done that in a while), but I saw a tutorial on you tube (I can’t find the link now) where the sewist used painters tape to hold the zip in place and then stitched from the front – definitely going to try that next time.
I went here while in Melbourne last weekend – it was fabulous. Heaps of things I wanted to purchase, but I was attempting to travel light (only carry on baggage). Above is what I did buy. I plan to make the girls head bands with the ribbons and the fat quarters? Well you can never have too many of those.
I’d love to go to some of their courses … but it doesn’t seem very likely – can’t wait for the online store to be up and running.
I’m going to make Miss A a quilt using three fabrics (from my stash) – it is going to consist of big plus signs.
I’m still working on the baby clothes quilt (I cut a few more squares everyday) and the knitting project (I’m about to start knitting the lace pattern), but they are both such big slow-moving projects I wanted something else as well.
Another baby is on the way – due at the end of February (not me obviously!).
It is 30 charm squares and a white border. I bought the charm squares ages ago from the Fat Quarter Shop (sorry I can’t remember the name). Everything including the backing and wadding came from my stash (slightly embarrassing that I have so much stock piled).
I just quilted it using my swirly free motion quilting (see picture below).
This time I didn’t lower the feed dogs while doing free motion quilting. I read about it here and thought I would experiment. To be honest I can’t see that it made much difference – I won’t be dropping the feed dogs in future. I did change the stitch length to zero and everything seem to work as normal – there are a few places where my stitches are too big, but that will just get better with practice.
This quilt came together really quickly – about 5 hours so far and all I have left is the binding.
I made this backing for the dinosaur quilt. All the fabric is from my stash.
I thought Miss P might not be so keen on dinosaurs when she is a bit older. So now she can flip the quilt over and have a more grown up side.
I still have to pin it and quilt it, but I don’t have enough wadding and a trip to the fabric store with two girls is very unappealing, so I will wait until school goes back.
The individual blocks are finished. I’m going to use white for the sashing and I’m just waiting for that to arrive (from here).