One more block of my Sampler Quilt – only another 7 to go.
Tag Archives: foundation piecing with an embroidery machine
I finished the four blocks that make one courthouse steps block. As I want this quilt finished, I’m trying to do a little often.
I finished the block a few weeks ago, but it has taken me a while to photograph it (not sure why it really doesn’t take that long).
This block consists of 4 smaller sub-units and then each sub-unit consists of two smaller units – does that make sense?
I used my embroidery machine and the whole block took about an hour to complete – I am not sure if this foundation piecing by embroidery machine is such a good idea. Sure it is very accurate, but it is fiddly and time consuming and I can never work out how big to make each piece because you have to stitch and flip.
So I have finally started the sampler quilt. The above is an Altar Steps block, which consists of four smaller blocks (see here). There will be five of these blocks in the quilt.
I’ve discovered it is quicker to cut all of the fabric for one smaller block before beginning the block. If in doubt the piece of fabric is going to be too small!
The final quilt consists of five of each of my sampler blocks (there are 12) and an extra 3 blocks ( I haven’t decided on the extras I suspect it will be the easier to make blocks!), so that makes a total of 63 blocks (5 × 12 + 3). Only 62 blocks to go …
I stitched this out yesterday and it worked the first time so rare!
This is the last block I wanted to digitise for my sampler quilt. Now it is simply a matter of getting on with it.
We’ve been away on holiday to Rottnest Island (Miss A went on camp and we just tagged along). Above is the lighthouse in the middle of the island (I love lighthouses). This photo was taken about 6:30am – I went for a run every morning and the weather was perfect.
This photo was taken on the way back to the settlement. We had a fabulous time – went to the beach, the bakery, read books and I even managed to do some knitting.
Back to crafty stuff. This is my hour glass block…
Here is four of them in a cushion top …
Some of the tack down stitching shows on the middle square. I’m tempted to just ignore it or use water soluble thread, but the best thing would be to change the design.
This egg turned out to be very squat.
I’ve gone back to basics: drawn my design on a piece of graph paper (the right size) and then digitised it.
This new design is slightly too big for one hooping – hopefully this will mean the pieces won’t be so fiddly.
Both girls have decided they don’t want my egg design for their easter t-shirts, so I’ve let them look through my design collection.
Miss P picked this one …
And Miss A this one …
I finished testing my flying geese block – it took three attempts.
I made this block using foundation (or paper) piecing on my embroidery machine. I digitised the design using Embird Studio.
The final design size is 138.4 mm by 139.6 mm.
Read this if you’re interested in using your embroidery machine to foundation piece – it does make for very accurate piecing, but your limited by the size of the embroidery hoop.
I made these blocks into a cushion cover. I just added borders until it was big enough -the back has an envelope closure (no zip!)
Next time I must remember to finish the edges of the construction seams – it’s not something you do when quilting (because the raw edges will be inside the quilt sandwich) – and it didn’t occur to me until it was too late to finish some of the border seams.