I have been having chemotherapy and now have neuropathy in my fingers and toes. I wasn’t sure how this would affect my embroidering, but it hasn’t made any difference. I have been able to work on my Halloween Cat project.
This is a Satsuma Street design. I am using DMC threads and a 25 count linen (2 strands over 2 threads).
I have become quite monogamous on this cross stitch.
The motif in the upper-right corner created a lot of difficulty for me. I think I stitched it three times before I could get the outer border to join correctly. The blue marking lines helped enormously. I have put more in to make the last few motifs easier and then it is on to the alphabets.
I’m back to stitching in hand and it just seems to work a bit better for me. I don’t think my stitches are better (in fact I think my tension is probably a bit off), but I am far more likely to pick it up and work on it.
I got a bit carried away with buying new charts last year and now I feel a bit anxious about the amount of unstitched charts I have.
I started working on this house late last year to use as a model for my girls, but soon realised it was going to take a long time and that they wouldn’t have the patience to finish it. I wondered if even I had the patience (dedication) to finish it, but when I added the back stitch the design popped and now I feel quite motivated (I doubt it will be finished this year).
The design is from the 2016 Family Circle Christmas Special – you might still be able to find the pattern here.
I bought the plastic canvas from Spotlight and I am using 6 strands of DMC floss, 2 for the backstitching.
I have been looking at various different ways of cross stitching. I stitch in hand one stitch at a time. I have tried Q-Snaps, but they hurt my hands getting them on and off, and I do have hoops (this one and while I do like this hoop – it is a bit of a pain to carry it around and set it up each time). I wanted to have less fuss and effort so I went with stitching in hand.
I do what I think is called the stab method (terrible name), but I thought I should try the sewing method however my tension was a bit crap, so I fallen back to the tried and tested method.
I was hoping to progress a bit quicker, but I will just have to make more of the process.
I have been working on this a little bit at a time. It’s from here.
It is on 32 count Belfast linen, which seems to be the limit of what I can do. It takes me a while to get my eye in so to speak and then I find it quite easy.
I have learnt how to do a pin stitch to start and stop stitching – from Hands Across the Sea Samplers. Nicola has a YouTube video you can watch. It has made the back much tidier and I am now using the loop method to start the non-variegated thread (the black in the image above).
I have been working (slowly) on my Live Simply sampler and I have started work on my My Lady’s Quaker from here – it is big (for me) 160 stitches by 160 and so I shall be working on it for a long time.
I have continued on my sock and hope to have it finished by the end of the month – my aim is a pair of socks a month. There is a lot going on in the next month, so I might not get there, but then I am going to knit Winter Rose Socks – I have this yarn in mind – in colour 2170.
There is not enough time to stitch and knit all of the things… I suspect this is a nice problem to have.