I will quilt it like I did my ‘Field of Flowers‘ and put in a zip. It is slightly bigger than ‘The Field of Flowers’ bag because that one is a bit over-full with my Hansel knitting project.
Tag Archives: Machine Embroidery
The Pi embroidery is a design I bought from Urban Threads a while ago (maybe a year) with plans to make a project bag. Originally I planned black on white, but then I saw this embroidery and thought white on black was very effective (I have this design too – already stitched out).
I just made a simple lined draw string bag – Martha Stewart has a great video tutorial.
It is the perfect size for a sock project.
I made one of the zipper pouches from my Craftsy course – Miss A did ask me why I keep making things brown and I think I have fallen into the trap of not wanting to use my ‘good’ fabric on a practice.
It came together pretty smoothly. A few things I need to remember for next time:
- the design needs to be rotated 180 degrees as the hoop attachment on my janome is on the opposite side to whatever machine the designer used.
- don’t iron over the labels if you have used an erasable pen!
- there is a lot of wasted fabric and I could cut the pieces much smaller.
Next up I am going to try the 6 by 10 version – as this one is slightly too small (getting my phone in and out is a bit painful).
I finished my favourite scarf – it is currently blocking on my outdoor table. I am not too happy with the kitchener join – I think I should have had the pieces abutting each other rather than wrong sides together when I did it.
On the left of the image is the start of one of my Little Houses – I have to say working on the plastic canvas is surprisingly fun.
On the right of the image is my Nowhere Cowl – I don’t know if you can read it in the image, but there is quite a nice message about how the chart seems daunting, but is really quite easy. So far that does seem to be the case – it is quite easy to remember each row as I am doing it.
I have also been watching my In the Hoop Gifts craftsy class – just the lesson on making zipper pouches. I do like the instructor – Sue O’Very -I am going to have to go and buy labels! I like how she has constructed her zipper bag and there a lots of little hints and tips I can use for other projects. Now to just get onto making one.
I know the above image doesn’t look like much, but this is going to be my new zip pouch. I measured my phone – because it is important my phone fits in – and then designed it around that measurement.
It will be lined and the front below the zip will have embroidery (although that might have to be done before rather than during the process of making this bag.
It takes a long time to digitise anything – even something as simple as this (it is essentially rectangles and straight lines).
I have this silk I want to use …
But perhaps I need an allover design?
Every friday afternoon Miss P goes to a different primary school than her usual one. This different school is in a suburb a long way from ours – well outside my comfort zone. I don’t know where anything is or even what there is to do. There is no point in coming home after dropping her off, so I have been exploring.
Last week I put ‘fabric stores’ into Google Maps and surprisingly there was one 7 minutes away! Fabulous Fabrics! It was fabulous – so many beautiful fabrics – the beaded ones were amazing.
I bought 2 metres of silk – the pinkish one (called peony) and an ivory one.
I plan to make an embroidered evening bag/clutch thing. I want to use some of the designs from here – I just need to decide if I want an allover design or individual designs.
This is my first attempt at constructing a book cover in the hoop. There were three hoopings; front, back and then joining them together. It works quite well – I am happy with the size – it could do with a bit of top stitching around the edges (but that would have to happen afterwards and not in the hoop). I have joined the two halves using a wide zig-zag and then hidden that under a grosgrain ribbon. This bit doesn’t work so well, so I am thinking of other options – bias binding or an embroidered strip – plus I think the cover of the zig-zag needs to be a bit wider.
I put a silk dupion to use with my canvas work. I am still thinking about the best way of inserting the canvas work – I don’t want any raw edges showing.
I finished the four blocks that make one courthouse steps block. As I want this quilt finished, I’m trying to do a little often.
I really like textiles and embroidery. I like the look of embroidery and the stories behind the creation of embroidery, but I am too lazy/impatient to do hand embroidery. I do like machine embroidery – both free motion and the digitised version – what I would really like to do is create embroidery that looks like it has been done by hand using my embroidery machine. To this end, I have been trying to improve my digitising. I made this blackwork sampler and now I am trying to learn silk shading. I am discovering a few tips and tricks with my software (which is Embird) and like anything I just need to practise.
This is the third of my foundation pieced blocks.
I can’t say I am that thrilled with my fabric choice, but I am determined to get this quilt finished.
Next up is Courthouse Steps.