I finished my journal cover-I used a silk dupion (has a beautiful lustre). It frayed like made though and I didn’t want to trim the corners in case it just frays away (I did zig-zag all of the raw edges).
I think the embroidery it too large for the cover, but that is what I made it for and realistically I am not going to use a bigger journal.
Journal Cover – Front
Journal Cover – Open
Journal Cover – Inside
This is my first attempt at constructing a book cover in the hoop. There were three hoopings; front, back and then joining them together. It works quite well – I am happy with the size – it could do with a bit of top stitching around the edges (but that would have to happen afterwards and not in the hoop). I have joined the two halves using a wide zig-zag and then hidden that under a grosgrain ribbon. This bit doesn’t work so well, so I am thinking of other options – bias binding or an embroidered strip – plus I think the cover of the zig-zag needs to be a bit wider.
I put a silk dupion to use with my canvas work. I am still thinking about the best way of inserting the canvas work – I don’t want any raw edges showing.
Embroidery for Journal Cover
I have started to construct the journal cover – it shouldn’t be that difficult, but I have managed to measure wrong once (luckily I found out before cutting the fabric).
My girls have gone back to school, so I have put my sewing machine away, which will, of course, delay sewing this thing – although I still have a bit of cutting to do so I don’t really have an excuse.