I went to the Upmarket on sunday. I do like it, but it has become so busy that it is beginning to be a bit unpleasant. I bought fabric from Old Grey House. I was determined to use this fabric quickly (I’ve bought fabric from them before, which is still in my stash!). I made a cushion – pretty simple.
I made the cushion cover 17 inches (and I used an 18 inch cushion insert). I read somewhere that the cover should be smaller than the insert.
Putting the zip in was a bit tricky (haven’t done that in a while), but I saw a tutorial on you tube (I can’t find the link now) where the sewist used painters tape to hold the zip in place and then stitched from the front – definitely going to try that next time.
It has all been a bit hit and miss for me lately. I damaged my finger (playing netball) and had to have it taped for a week. That meant no craft. Then I have been running in an effort to build calcium and get fitter – my running partner and I have made it to a 90 minute run, but on my last run I hurt a knee (there is a bit of a theme here). Anyway, I wanted to do some easy (and quick) craft.
I made the head band above for Miss A. It is just two pieces of grosgrain ribbon (from Spotlight) sewn together – right sides out – with about 10cm of elastic joining the ends. Very simple and when she wears it you can’t see the elastic. I turned the ends under slightly (just so I wouldn’t have to worry about them fraying).
This was really a practice run for the vintage ribbon I bought here.
I’m also reading this book …
which I am finding completely fascinating, but I will write more about that later.
I finished the cushion for Miss P.
I was a bit disappointed with how the frill on the edges turned out. I should have sewn the zig zag bits from the front and used the seam joining the frill strips as a guide. Also, the pattern has two different dimensions for the back (one for the frill and one without), but as luck would have it I cut the back too small and then had to add bits. If I had read the instructions through completely this would have been obvious, but the second set of dimensions is only mentioned in one small spot (certainly not in the list of materials), which I think is poor form on the part of the patter writer. However, I do like how the frill is constructed.
I’ve made more coasters – they’re quick and easy and use up small amounts of fabric (I can make 6 from one fat quarter). This time I used a machine embroidery design from here.
It’s a ‘fete year’ at my girls’ school (they happen every three years). We’ve all been asked to make an apron for the craft stall (that’s mine above). I have to say it’s very fiddly – not hard, but time consuming. I’ve spent four hours on it already! I’m determined to get this thing finished before I move onto something else – which means nothing fun is happening (and I need some fun it’s been a hard couple of weeks – sickness, plumping issues (sewage in the garden), leaky roof that was meant to have been fixed.
I finished this skirt, which I started away back in October. Miss A is wearing it at ballet – I’ve blurred out her face because I’m a bit concerned about internet safety.
This skirt looks great and as the waistband is shirred I finally learnt how to do that (like most things it wasn’t too hard when you actually have a go). However, I found the instructions a bit confusing – diagrams would have helped – in the end I made up my own way of attaching the waistband. Also, the seam allowances were only 1/4 of an inch and there wasn’t enough room to finish the edges so I’m worried the whole thing is going to fray.
I’ve almost finished one March sock!
Miss A and Miss P went camping on the weekend. I had 24 hours to myself – at home! I decided to start (and hopefully finish) a sewing project. The doll above is the result. I made each of the girls one. It is a machine embroidery pattern that you use your normal sewing machine to complete. The pattern is from here
. The instructions were very comprehensive and easy to follow. Miss A is particularly taken and has been ‘designing’ new outfits for her doll (called Ariel).
I feel re-motivated to finish off a few other languishing projects. My March sock, however, is still on going. It’s going to have to be an April/March sock.
If I am to get my second sock finished by Monday (the 31st), then I need a plan of action.
Tuesday (25th): Work on sock leg.
Wednesday (26th): Finish sock leg.
Thursday (27th): Heel flap, turn heel, pick up heel stitches.
Friday (28th): Gusset
Saturday (29th): Foot
Sunday (30th): Toe
As you can see, I’ve left a spare day at the end because something is bound to come up or to take longer than I anticipate.
I’ve started working on this skirt. It consists of 24 triangles – I’m glad I bought it as a kit all of the cutting would have driven me mad.
So far so good. The instructions are great and it seems to be coming together nicely. I’m slightly concerned about the 1/4 inch seam allowances and no seam finishes (won’t it fray?)
I’ve been away – here – a fabulous (and very relaxing) time was had by all. I did more knitting which I will show you in another post.
Today I spent a bit of time sorting out my craft room. I share it with Misses A and P and it was getting messy, disordered and very cluttered. I find it hard to think straight when surrounded by a mess. So now I shall be able to start my Christmas crafting.
I finished the T-Shirt for Miss P.
Here is a close up of the front …
The Water Lily blocks were foundation pieced using my embroidery machine – you can find the design here. I attach the block using a blanket stitch (width 2.5mm and length 1.5mm). I also used Vliesofix to get the appliques to stay in place while stitching.