This is my latest digitised block, a Pinwheel. I used paint to show you what it would like if there was four of them.
Category Archives: Patchwork
I know I have written about this book before, but I have finally finished reading it. This book is a textile lover’s dream – the illustrations are beautiful and it is full of fascinating information. It is not the type of book to read all at once, but just dip into every now and then (even to just look at the pictures and be awed by the skill, patience and dedication of the maker).
The book consists of four chapters; Making and using quilts in eighteenth century Britain, Complexity and context:nineteenth century British quilts, Maintaining the craft:British quilt-making 1900-45 and Negotiating space:fabric and the feminine 1945-2010.
Here are some of my favourites …
As I love liberty fabrics, Liberty Jack is probably my favourite, but Sara Impey’s Punctuation is brilliant to, and then the amount of work involved in the earlier quilts is mind-boggling.
The above block is 1/4 of an Iowa Star. You need to imagine 4 of them exactly the same, but rotated to make a square in the middle – like this
I digitised the block using Embird Studio and it came together quickly. I did cut some of the fabric pieces a little too small, but this block was just a test to see how well I had digitised the design.
I have been working away on the Pineapple block – this is the 7th iteration.
It didn’t stitch out perfectly (so there will be an 8th version) I had to do a couple of dodgy things, but I am happy with the final result. I just need to change the order of a few bits and add a few bits.
This time around I used Embird Studio’s hide/show feature and it made things a lot clearer – much easier to keep track of things.
I’ve also moved my embroidery sewing machine to a better spot – I am much more likely to use it now, such a simple thing.
I’ve started work on the Pineapple Block and it has proven to be a little bit tricky, but on the plus side I’ve learnt a few things about Embird.
This little magic tool
allows you to specify the length and width (exactly) of objects – no more using the grid to create the right size.
And you can use Guide Lines to split objects that is how I chopped the top off the outer most triangles.
That way I just created one triangle and copy, pasted and rotated as required – much more accurate.
My one concern is the non-straight seams and how easy they will be to stitch and flip.
I have another design in mind that only has straight seams it might be worth changing now before I have committed too much time.
On a completely different note, it is Australia Day and my pavlova is cooling in the oven. I think I am prepared.
I think this is better than the last one – it came together quickly, which is handy in the school holidays!
This is the first attempt at the Courthouse Steps block. One of the seams isn’t quite right and I think I can fit another step in on the flowery steps.
It came together easily, so easily I might try a Pineapple Quilt Block next (like one of the ones below) …
My next digitising project is a snail trail block. I have made one before, but I want these new blocks to be a consistent size. While digitising I was a bit daunted by all of the lines on the screen, but in the end it was very easy and only needed one revision.
I like how this block turned out and stitching it out wasn’t too fiddly.
We’ve been away on holiday to Rottnest Island (Miss A went on camp and we just tagged along). Above is the lighthouse in the middle of the island (I love lighthouses). This photo was taken about 6:30am – I went for a run every morning and the weather was perfect.
This photo was taken on the way back to the settlement. We had a fabulous time – went to the beach, the bakery, read books and I even managed to do some knitting.
Back to crafty stuff. This is my hour glass block…
Here is four of them in a cushion top …
Some of the tack down stitching shows on the middle square. I’m tempted to just ignore it or use water soluble thread, but the best thing would be to change the design.
My stock pile of cards was depleted. I quite like to have a few stashed away – they are time consuming and I might not have enough time when I need one. These five took about an hour. I piece them using my embroidery machine – the design files can be found here (free for individual use, but don’t sell my designs). One of them is blackwork embroidery that I adapted from a 17th century embroidery book.