I oiled my machine (a Janome 500e). I had been putting it off because it seemed a complicated business, but in the end it was fine. Just read the instructions and do one step at a time. And I am sure next time it will be even easier.
I was keen to use it after that. I have been wanting to make embroidered fabric – that I could then use on another project, so I decided now was the time. I used one motif from Graceful Embroidery (Dainty Vines collection) and I copied it and rotated it until I was happy with the layout (I used Embird).
I am going to make a zipper pouch out of it – need to make fabric for the second side.
The Pi embroidery is a design I bought from Urban Threads a while ago (maybe a year) with plans to make a project bag. Originally I planned black on white, but then I saw this embroidery and thought white on black was very effective (I have this design too – already stitched out).
I just made a simple lined draw string bag – Martha Stewart has a great video tutorial.
My splint is off – I still have some tendon issues, but my hand is pretty much back to normal.
I am making my girls book bags (or project bags). The machine embroidery designs are from Designs by Juju super easy to use – I used two sheets of light to medium weight tearaway stabiliser. There was a bit of puckering, which I made worse by interfacing and then steam ironing – oops!
I have Super Cute Paper Piecing by Charise Randell – beautiful book and it has instructions for making a zipper pouch and I used the instructions to make the bag (I love how the zip is inserted with the tabs at the end). At first I used my zipper foot, but found my quarter inch walking foot was much better (so that’s what I will use from now on).
And then I am crossing stitching again – I have been motivated by watching various floss tubes) – the second picture is my progress on my Anne of Green Gables sampler (I bought this on my ‘pilgrimage’ to Prince Edward Island). In the black friday/cyber monday sale I bought a cross stitch class from Craftsy. I have watched the first two classes, but am now waiting on supplies (from here) so I can finish my homework. I have learnt some stuff already though – the loop method for starting, start in the upper left corner (I have always started in the middle), railroading to get the stitches to lie flat.
I store my pegs in a bag – my current bag has seen better days and I constantly get the pegs caught on loose threads. Something had to be done. I decided I should make my own and I looked for machine embroidered clothes lines.
I stitched it using Robinson Anton Rayon in the colours I had that were closest to the recommended colours. I used a medium weight tear-away stabiliser. There is a little bit of puckering, but not enough to bother me.
I bought this design from Urban Threads ages ago, but, like a lot of things, did nothing with it. On the weekend I decided to make another in the hoop zipper bag – it was a bit of a disaster because I forgot to open the system (and therefore it was forever shut!).
I then had a bit of an epiphany and thought ‘why don’t I do the embroidery and then make the thing using my normal sewing machine?’.
I wanted a new project bag for my knitting and decided a draw string bag would be ideal.
Martha Stewart has a great tutorial on making draw string bags – super easy and quick.
I have used linen for the bag, which makes for a nice finished product, but the fraying was extreme.
I stitched the embroidery by hooping a tear away stabiliser and floating the linen on top (picking the stabiliser out was a complete pain in the butt – there must be a better way). My machine has a basting function, which stitches the linen to the stabiliser and holds it in place for the embroidery.
But never anything by hand. So when it was suggested at my embroidery class I was eager to give it a go.
The tricky bit for me is thinking about the path the stitches should follow before starting (I believe the aim is to have the back similar to the front because you don’t want shadows appearing on the front).