I finished one sock for June and one sock for July. I went away for a week (to here) and I wanted to see if I could complete a pair of socks, so I started the July pair (I had already finished the June sock). Clearly, I can’t get a pair of socks finished in a week.
The yarn for the June sock (right sock) is King Cole Zig Zag and the lace pattern is from the Knitting Vintage Socksbook. It is the lace pattern from the Evening Stockings for a Young Lady Pattern. I just used the lace pattern and did the sock in my usual way.
The yarn for the July sock (left sock) is Old Roses by The Yarnkeeper and it is a plain vanilla sock (with such beautiful yarn why spoil it with a pattern?)
I have started the second sock of both and will probably focus on finishing the July sock first.
The Cat Haven (where we got our cat) has requested knitted blankets for the cats, so I thought ‘that’s something I can do’ and ‘it won’t take long’. I popped off to Spotlight and bought three 50g balls of Cleakheaton Country 8ply. Knitted one ball and realised I had totally under-estimated the amount of yarn and time needed to knit this blanket. I am currently about halfway through and I have used 4.5 balls.
It is a very easy knit and I have been watching Call the Midwife season 8 while working on it. This does mean my socks have taken a back seat (and the Hansel Wrap).
I finished my may sock early, which means I can try something a bit more adventurous for June.
Above is my swatch, which is a bit disappointing. The ball looks like
which is quite pretty, but the swatch has large colour blocks (pooling) that I am not so keen on. So I have decided this probably isn’t the yarn for a special project, but is the yarn to practise a special project.
The lace pattern requires a multiple of 6 plus 1, so I have decided to cast on 60 and make one in the round before starting the lace – the ribbing is K2P1, so a multiple of 3. It’s not possible to have a multiple of 6 plus 1 and have it be a multiple of 3.
This is different to the pattern, but I think I should be able to use the same heel (Dutch heel) and toe (round) as the pattern.
I bought 5 balls of Wool and the Gang sock yarn. It meant postage was free. It came with a pattern and three sets of double pointed needles (2.25mm, 2.5mm and 2.75mm).
For this first pair I followed the pattern exactly (and I must say it was an easy to follow pattern), but for the next pair I will make a few alterations – the foot is too long and that is because I made the toe too big (next time I will just do my normal toe). Also, I have become a magic loop convert and will knit the next pair the magic loop way.
I do like the after-thought heel – although I did get a hole at the corner where the foot meets the leg (I closed it up with spare yarn so you can’t see it in the photo). I will do some research to see how that can be avoided for the next pair.
These are my May socks, so I am ahead of schedule. I am going to work on my Hansel shawl and when I need something easy I will knit wash cloths.
Well astute observers would notice that there has been a change of plan for this yarn. I was making Precious Metal socks, but I didn’t think the pattern stood out enough. I have moved onto Monkey Socks by Cookie A – it is a free pattern, but I purchased it via Ravelry (I believe designers should get paid).
As per usual, I am just using the pattern for the lace chart and doing my own thing for the actual sock construction.
I am a bit late getting into this one – I think the KAL has finished.
This was designed by Louise Tillbrook and she released a bit every week for four weeks. I had good intentions, but also wanted to finish my integrated socks. I will probably do heels and toes the way I like and just use the pattern for the pattern around the leg and on top of the foot.
This yarn is fabulous – Peppermint Latte from fiber lily. I have the Swish Sock base (85% merino and 15% Nylon).
I am always up for a new way of knitting top-down socks (not such a keen fan of toe up). Anyway, this one doesn’t have a heel flap (or at least one where you knit backwards and forwards). This is what the designer ( Ailbíona McLochlainn) says
The Integrated Heel looks and fits similarly to a traditional heel flap and gusset. The difference is in the process. Like the traditional sock heel, the Integrated Heel features a heel flap, a gusset, and a turned heel. Unlike the traditional sock heel, the Integrated Heel is worked almost entirely in the round. This eliminates the need to work the heel flap back-and-forth flat, and to later pick up stitches along its edges. The resulting benefits include: a gusset with more give (since you aren’t picking up stitches along a finished edge); fewer interruptions to workflow (which, in turn, speeds up the knitting process considerably); and excellent fit, with ample opportunity for heel-depth customisation.
I bought the pattern and used the ideas rather than the specific pattern to knit my sock. I liked it. I need to wear it a bit before deciding if it is my new go to heel type (and I still have a second sock to knit).
The yarn is from Dingo Dye Works – in the Desert Rose colourway. It’s beautiful and feels fabulous, so soft.