I finished another quilt. It’s the same pattern as this One
. This time I stipple quilted it …
It was much quicker to do than my normal swirly pattern.
I attached the binding to the back and then folded it to the front. The plan being that I would stitch close to the edge of the fold and it would look great and be much quicker than hand sewing. However, it was much harder to sew close to the edge in a straight line. Once again I ended up hiding my dodgy stitching with a decorative pattern!
I finished my quilt – the photo is a bit strange because I laid the quilt on the floor. The pattern is from Two Little Banshees
(she has a tutorial).
I just quilted it using a swirly free motion quilting pattern.
Here is the back …
I decided to try machine sewing the binding down (rather than hand sewing the back). My plan was to stitch in the ditch on the front and therefore catch the binding at the back. Good plan? Well it sounds good in theory, but the practice proved to be much harder. In the end I used a decorative stitch to ensure that all of the binding was caught at the back. However, I was happy with the end result. Next time I’m going to machine sew the binding to the back (the reverse of my usual practice) and then machine sew it to the front (as close I can to the fold).
I’ve just started another version of this quilt, but more of that later.
I am busy working on my ‘secret squirrel’ quilt. I’m free-motion quilting in a swirly loopy pattern.
I finished the quilting – above is the front.
Here is the back …
I thought the front was probably too girly (not sure if it is a girl or boy), so I made the back a bit more boyey.
When I free-motion quilt I tend to do loops and swirls – it just seems to be my natural style. I’ve been trying to make the loops rounder. I’ve been concentrating on the getting the sewing machine speed and the speed I move the quilt right. Sometimes I have big stitches and sometimes small ones but I am getting better with practice.
This time I’ve also had a bit of trouble with the tension – I’ve tried fiddling with the needle tension, but I haven’t been able to solve the problem completely. Increasing the needle pressure has helped, so I might try altering the tension with increased needle pressure and see what happens.
I’ve started quilting this quilt. I’m doing free-motion swirly things (my version of stippling). I’m definitely getting better with practice. I found a supreme slider (it’s a silicon sheet you put between your sewing machine and the quilt – there is a hole for the needle) made things much easier to move the fabric.