I am still working on my Halloween Cat – progress is slow, but enjoyable.
I have been listening to An offer from a Gentleman by Julia Quinn (the Audible version) while stitching.
I have bought a new table clamp (the Elbesee Versatile Table Clamp – from here).
I like it. It means I can work two-handed and have it at the height and angle I want. I can also attach my magnifying glass (it pegs on) and because the hoop is stable, I know longer get nauseous.
I have been having chemotherapy and now have neuropathy in my fingers and toes. I wasn’t sure how this would affect my embroidering, but it hasn’t made any difference. I have been able to work on my Halloween Cat project.
This is a Satsuma Street design. I am using DMC threads and a 25 count linen (2 strands over 2 threads).
Not much progress on this – how do people find time to get everything done?
I have been recording the temperature everyday, so I just need to marshal my forces and get on with it.
The temperature cross stitch has started – not up to date yet, but it is easy going. I think one of the maximums (maxima?) is the wrong shade of yellow, but I am not unpicking, so let’s hope this doesn’t (in a hundred years) become a significant historical document.
I think I need to put a key on – otherwise the actual temperature data will be lost. Thoughts?
I am going to do a Temperature cross stitch. I have been diligently recording the daily maxima and minima.
In the image above are the flosses I’m planning to use – cold at the top (anything below 0 – very unlikely in Perth) and hot at the bottom (above 44 – I hope that doesn’t happen or not very often).
Each day will be a 4 by 4 square with the upper left corner the minumum and the bottom right the maximum. Like this
I think I will have a black line between days and months, but I am not certain of that yet.
I seem to have my system working now – the ‘double decker’ hoop (so I can work two handed) from here, and the magnifying light (which I bought from an electronic hobby store).
This is coming together nicely – although I am very slow. It’s about the process though and not the final product.
I finished! This project languished because I struggled to see the stitchers clearly. I got new glasses and while that helped it didn’t solve the problem. However, I bought this magnifier and it has made a huge difference.
The pattern is My Lady’s Quaker from Jardin Prive. I did it on a 32 count Belfast linen (from Zweigart). The black is standard DMC 310 and the red is a variegated DMC 115.
I started it in February 2018, so 18 months to finish it (although it’s about the process).
I just have to finish the motif on the bottom right corner and then I am on to the alphabets – one upper case and one lower case.
Working on it in hand means I do actually work on it, but I don’t think my stitches are as well-formed.
The pattern is from Jardin Prive. As I have two more of her designs in my stash, I am quite keen to get this one finished (and I have been working on it for a year!).
I have become quite monogamous on this cross stitch.
The motif in the upper-right corner created a lot of difficulty for me. I think I stitched it three times before I could get the outer border to join correctly. The blue marking lines helped enormously. I have put more in to make the last few motifs easier and then it is on to the alphabets.
I’m back to stitching in hand and it just seems to work a bit better for me. I don’t think my stitches are better (in fact I think my tension is probably a bit off), but I am far more likely to pick it up and work on it.
I got a bit carried away with buying new charts last year and now I feel a bit anxious about the amount of unstitched charts I have.