I’ve finished the cushion for Miss A.
A few things I discovered; vliesofix is fabulous, but there must be a cheaper way of buying it, a finer blanket stitch was best (Mode 2 36 on my Janome 6600p), as the envelope style backing is quite generous a button is not required.
Here is a closer look at the applique…
I like the way the frill (extra bit around the edge of the cushion is created. Once the cushion cover has been assembled, turned right side out and pressed, you sew just inside the border seam.
I’ve started stitching around the edges of my applique cushion. This one …
I’m using bobbin fill on the bottom and rayon embroidery thread on the top (Robison Anton Rayon). I’m using a blanket stitch (stitch number Mode 2 35 if you have a Janome 6600p – I’m also using the F2 foot, which makes it much easier to see what you are doing) with a length and width of 1.5mm.
I’m surprised by how easily this is all coming together – it’s not perfect by any means, but easier than I expected.
This is destined to be a cushion cover.
It has been sitting in my ‘must get around to it’ pile for so long I can”t remember even buying it, but I am determined that this is the year to complete projects and declutter the craft stash. The design is from here and the fabric is bits and pieces from my stash.
Using Vliesofix to hold the applique pieces in place made everything much easier – of course I still have to stitch around each piece, but at least I don’t have to worry about the pieces falling off or slipping around. Just need to remember draw the shapes on the smooth side and iron the rough side to the wrong side of the fabric – I had at least one gooey iron incident when I ironed the wrong side.
It’s almost Easter – I wish the weather would be more April-like (it’s still warm!). I like to make the girls applique T-shirts for Christmas and Easter. Above is Miss P’s T-shirt. The design is from Bunnycup. Below is Miss A’s – her design is from Designs by JuJu.
This is Miss P’s Christmas embroidery (the design is from here) – I used a christmas print on the Sunbonnet Sue, but the Christmas parts are a bit hidden.
I used two layers of iron-on tear- away stabiliser and it has worked well. I also starched the fabric, which does seam to make a difference.
I finished the T-Shirt for Miss P.
Here is a close up of the front …
The Water Lily blocks were foundation pieced using my embroidery machine – you can find the design here. I attach the block using a blanket stitch (width 2.5mm and length 1.5mm). I also used Vliesofix to get the appliques to stay in place while stitching.
I like to put little embroidery motifs on the back of my girls’ T-Shirts – like this (see the second image). Last night I embroidered four at once – one for Miss P”s T-Shirt and I can store the others for the next project.
The designs are from Designs By Juju.
I bought the Homespun magazine (not the current one but the previous issue) because it came with Inspired Machine Applique with Michele Hill DVD. I love doing applique, but I’ve never worked out the best way of attaching my shapes to the background fabric.
Michele’s (she’s the one on the left in the image) quilts are amazing; complex with lots of intricate looking shapes.
Here she is laying out her pieces …
She had quite a simple technique (probably hard when you try it yourself). She copied the design onto applique paper which she then ironed onto the wrong side of the fabric. Cut the shapes out (this is probably a bit tricky), removed the paper and ironed them onto the backing fabric.
She then stitched around the pieces using a blanket stitch an embroidery sewing thread (she prefers rayon).
She has a great method for stitching points – she simply stitches across the points.
I should point out that she would normally use a matching thread (she used the white to make it easier to see).
Michele had a really personable style and a really relaxed approach to the process. If you are at all interested in applique, I would recommend seeing this DVD.
Michele has her own blog and a couple of books.
I finally finished this quilt for Miss P.
I free-motion quilted the borders and sashing, stitched in the ditch around each block and did straight line quilting on the diagonals of each block (skipping the applique).
I managed to make this quilt entirely from my stash – I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not (at least it’s getting smaller).
I’m now looking around for a new project and I have a few ideas – one involves this fabric …
I’ve started quilting the alphabet quilt. I’ve decided to ‘stitch in the ditch’ around the blocks and free-motion the sashing and borders. I think it will be quite a while before I get this finished.